Monday, July 6, 2009

Harper's Belated "Welcome Home!" Shower

I started to write this entry last week but never got around to actually posting it, so sorry for the delay!

We had our "Welcome Home, Harper!" shower here at our house on June 28th, and it was so much fun. The hostesses completely outdid themselves; they brought in pounds of chicken and beef fajitas, Mexican rice, refried beans, and queso from Alamo Cafe (sooo good!), the most beautiful bouquet of flowers I think I've ever seen, a homemade trifle, a darling pink "Welcome Harper" cake with baby booties on it, and an absolutely exquisite diaper cake, care of the amazing talents of my best friend! Harper got the chance to meet"Aunt Jody," "Uncle Rick," "Aunt Erin," "Uncle David," & "Uncle Kris & Aunt Carrie" (who is pregnant with Harper's soon-to-be boyfriend, Josh) for the first time, and Jeff & I had a blast laughing, eating, and drinking wine with our friends. We don't see them nearly as much as we used to, so it was especially cool to hang out with so many of them together in one place.

Jody created a "word scramble" of all of Harper's favorite things, and I am sorry to say that my jumble skills are obviously not what they once were! (Sadly, I missed my own last name! I couldn't figure out that "nsoerHdne" was "Henderson"! A little pathetic!) Everyone had so much fun trying to figure out all of the answers. A few of us got pretty close, but no one could manage to beat Rick, who ultimately won the grand prize: a free massage at Spa d'Sante. After the word scramble, Jeff & I read aloud each guest's wish and/or words of advice for us as new parents. Some of the things people wrote were hysterical, such as my brother's words of wisdom: "Give her what she needs, not what she wants." Good advice, maybe, but a little ironic coming from my brother, who pretty much exclusively wears Burberry and Lacoste, drives a Porsche Boxster, and spends most of his time on the links at various San Antonio country clubs. (Incidentally, Carson is a very good kid: mannerly, thoughtful, and easy to get along with, with a very big heart. He doesn't act spoiled or bratty in the least. Still, he has exceptional, expensive taste and a self-admitted desire to live the "good life," so I couldn't help but chuckle when I read his bit of advice.)

Anyway, after reading everyone's wishes and words of wisdom, Jeff & I opened Harper's presents. Wow, she got some absolutely amazing gifts: her high chair, an extra car seat base (sooo nice to have an extra one to put in Jeff's car!), a car seat grabber, padded car seat strap covers, double head support pillows, a darling wicker laundry hamper, crib sheets, bassinet sheets, changing pad covers, a musical monkey toy, her first stationery, a $50 gift card to Target (which Mommy has already spent on a little closet organizer and an adorable mushroom baby pool that I doubt we'll be able to use until next year), and six or seven adorable outfits. I have no idea when I'll be able to write so many thank-you notes, but I will get them all done...eventually.

In the meantime, I hope my darling friends know how very grateful I am to them for putting together such a spectacular shower. I had such a wonderful time and can't thank them enough for everything. Harper will hear about her "Welcome Home" shower for many years to come!


No comments:

Tickers

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker