Friday, May 22, 2009

Happy Pseudo-Birthday, Harper!

I can't believe Harper is almost a two-month-old. She'll be eight weeks tomorrow, which is insane to me.

Crazier, still, is that today--May 22nd--was supposed to be my "due date."

I can hardly fathom that my baby girl is only a few days shy of two months, but it also seems so strange to think that, merely eight weeks ago, I didn't know her. I bonded with her while she was in utero, of course, and I'd like to think that I knew her well before she was born, but in truth, I had no idea what that little face would look like--the face that I'll never forget for the rest of my life.

And although I can still remember what life was like before Harper arrived, I'm not sure I remember what it was like not to know her. Does that make sense?

We have come such a long way over the past eight weeks. Harper was born weighing only 3 lbs. 10 oz. During her first week of life in the NICU, she plummeted to 3 lbs. 3.3 oz., ate exclusively out of a feeding tube placed down her throat, had an IV in her heel, and sported "aviators" to combat the bilirubin lights used to improve her jaundice.

By the time of her discharge six weeks later, she weighed 6 lbs. 2.3 oz.--nearly double what she weighed at her lowest point.

We don't know what she weighs at the moment (we don't believe in scales here at our house, particularly post-pregnancy!), but she was 6 lbs. 10 oz. at her first doctor's appointment last Thursday. And she's been porking up ever since she got home! She now has a nice double chin, chubby cheeks, and is starting to get those "rolls" typical of most babies!

I'm so proud of my little fighter. Just look at how far she's come in the past eight weeks...

Week One:
Week Two:
Week Three:
Week Four:
Week Five:
Week Six:
Week Seven:
Week Eight:

No comments:

Tickers

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker