Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Letter to My Daughter on Mother's Day

Dear Harper,

Today is my first Mother's Day, and although you're not home with me right now, I'm crediting you for making this the best day I can remember.

I'm also crediting you for teaching your mom ten very important things in the past nine months:
  1. God is a genius. I didn't realize just how smart He is until you started growing inside me; then it became quite clear. There is no other way to explain the miracle of pregnancy and childbirth than by grand design.
  2. I didn't think it was possible to love something or someone as much as I love you.
  3. I look at you and can't believe I am responsible for creating something so blatantly perfect. How could I, with all my faults, make something so wonderful?
  4. Your daddy is going to be an amazing father. And he already adores you more than I ever could have expected or imagined.
  5. Your dad & I have an incredible marriage. We are capable of handling a lot, and the reason is that we have each other.
  6. Your grandmother loves me in a way that no one else ever could. It is a pure, primal, selfless, compassionate, unconditional love that could never end despite my actions or age, and only now am I beginning to fully understand it.
  7. Things don't always work out the way we expect, but God knows what He is doing, even when we don't.
  8. The world seemed much safer before you arrived. I realize now that everytime your grandparents worried about me or told me to "be careful," it's because they saw me as completely vulnerable in a big, scary world and because they would do absolutely ANYTHING to prevent me from getting hurt.
  9. I realize that someday you will be old enough to be your own person, hold your own opinions, and make your own decisions, but I will forever struggle with the concept that you are not "mine" and that I will one day have to let you go.
  10. Although it's seemingly light years away, that day will come too soon.
Thanks, my girl, for making my first Mother's Day so special. I love you so, so much!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Tickers

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker